Thursday, September 10, 2009

cilantro-lime rice

If we really are what we eat, then during my last year of college I was a giant vegetarian Chipotle Grill burrito. Then I somehow chanced upon the "nutrition" content and was swayed to make my burritos at home. The foundation of the Chipotle burrito, I think, is the cilantro rice (for which I maintain they've changed the recipe - and not for the better). So here is my homemade version.

Ingredients
Long or medium grain white rice
Chicken broth (or vegetable broth if that's how you roll)
2 limes
fresh cilantro, chopped
salt

Make the rice according to package directions, substituting broth for water, and adding the juice of one lime to the liquid.

When the rice is done, add cilantro in small bunches (maybe 1/4 cup at a time) until the rice is beautifully flaked with the fresh green herb. Taste the rice at this point, and add salt and juice from the other lime until the rice tastes as you like it. I would estimate that for four servings of rice, I use 3/4 of the bunch of cilantro, both limes, and about a teaspoon of salt. Your tastes may differ.

This rice is very fresh tasting and works well as the base of a burrito or taco, or as a side dish to fish or poultry. It doesn't, however, keep well, because the cilantro will wilt. It's fine, as long as you don't mind that the cilantro turns color - still totally delicious, just not as beautiful.

1 comment:

Scribe Rothschild said...

I add a cap-full or two of rice vinegar when I make it.