Tuesday, August 11, 2009

onion pie

I suppose this is technically a quiche, but I modeled it after the Alsatian Onion Pie by Chef Hubert Keller. My version takes significantly less time and finesse. Full disclosure: this was my first quiche. And though the picture doesn't do it justice, I assure you, it was exceptionally tasty.


I used pre-made pie crusts, which frankly, is a little embarrassing. My grandmother (on my father's side) was the only person in our family who couldn't cook - if it didn't come out of a can, she didn't know what to do with it. But, she apparently made the most amazing pie crust my father ever tasted. And he's tasted a lot of pie. So, sorry grandma, but I bought the frozen ones.

Ingredients:
2 regular frozen pie crusts (or 1 deep-dish)
2 medium onions, ends cut off, cut in half, sliced into half-moons
1 boneless, skinless chicken breast
1/2 cup grated cheese + some for garnish (I used cheddar, but I think next time I'll use something like havarti)
3 eggs
1/4 cup light sour cream
1 cup low-fat milk
1 tbs butter
1 tbs olive oil
1/4 cup of chicken broth
2 cloves garlic, sliced
salt and pepper

Chicken breast:
Season the chicken breast liberally with your favorite seasoning. I use Commander's Palace's meat seasoning. Place in an oven pre-heated to 400* F. Cook for 5 minutes, flip over, cook for another 5 minutes. Take out the chicken and let it rest on the counter. Don't eat it! It's not cooked.

Pie:
Pre-heat the oven to 325* F (or turn it down to 325). Put the olive oil and butter in a large skillet over medium-low heat. Once the butter has stopped bubbling in the oil, put the sliced onions and garlic into the pan. Sprinkle with salt, pour in the chicken broth and cover the pan. Let this cook down, without stirring it, for about 10 minutes. Then give it a quick stir, cover it again and let it go another 10 minutes. Keep this up until the onions turn a pretty amber-brown color and completely wilt. If you find that your pan is getting dry, add a little more chicken broth.

While the onions are cooking, cut the chicken breast up into bite-sized pieces. The chicken will finish cooking in the pie. Once the onions are soft and brown, toss the cut-up chicken and the cheddar cheese with them. Then, fill the pie crusts evenly with this onion+chicken+cheese mixture.

Next, place the milk and sour cream in a small pot over low heat. Whisk continuously until the mixture is slightly warmer than body temperature (you should be able to stick your finger in it - clearly I cook at home and not in a restaurant). Turn off the heat under the pan, and add the eggs one by one, whisking in each one fully before adding the next. Grate a little bit of fresh pepper into this and add a pinch or two of salt.

Pour the egg mixture over the filled pie crusts. Sprinkle some grated cheese on top. I put the pies on foiled-lined cookie sheets, in case of spillover (which didn't occur). Stick them in the oven and bake for 30-40 minutes, or until the tops of the pie are puffed up. If you notice the crust getting too brown, just cover lightly with some aluminum foil.

When I make this again, I think I'll cut out the chicken and use some soft white cheese and fresh thyme.

This weekend I also put together pasta shells with clam sauce and spinach (which was delicious) and some pumpkin-carrot chocolate chip cookies (which were pretty awful). I didn't get a picture of the pasta, but I'll post the recipe anyway. I won't, however, inflict the pumpkin-carrot abomination on y'all.

2 comments:

Scribe Rothschild said...

First.

This with cod would be awesome.

CatherineAnne said...

I'm not sure how I feel about a fish pie...but let me know how it goes!