Monday, August 24, 2009

curried and poached catfish

I can't remember where I got the idea to poach fish in curry sauce, but I did it once about 6 weeks ago with fantastic results. For a very impromptu dinner party over the weekend, I did it again. My friend Jeff provided this flattering compliment, "it actually melts in your mouth!" So, yay for that.

Ingredients
1 15 oz. can of coconut milk (shaken)
1.5 tbs of red curry paste
2 catfish fillets (any white fish will probably do)
1 tbs peanut butter
1 tsp honey
1 sliced jalapeno pepper
your favorite fish seasoning
salt to taste

Season the fillets with your favorite seasoning and place back in the fridge while you prepare the sauce. In a large saucepan or skillet (you'll want one with a cover), combine the coconut milk, peanut butter, curry paste, and honey. Whisk until smooth. Toss in the sliced jalapeno pepper (or leave that out if you prefer a less spicy sauce).

Turn the heat on under the saucepan and bring the sauce to a boil. Then, slide in your fish fillets, lower the heat to low and cover the saucepan. Let it cook for 7-10 minutes. Then, flip the fillets over, re-cover and allow to cook for an additional 7-10 minutes.

Serve over rice. The fish will practically fall apart when it's cooked. Pour some of the remaining sauce over the fish and rice when serving.

I didn't take pictures of this dish. Oops!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Mmm...sounds yummy!

Scribe Rothschild said...

You called me up one night and asked me about poaching fish...you said you had curry sauce...the rest is delicious history.