Tuesday, August 3, 2010

soup in the summer

I love soup, as is evidenced here, here, and here. So, with the leftovers from this recipe I made soup. Wonderful, soul-healing soup. Jesus, I love soup.

Ingredients

3 stalks of celery, diced (I have to dice it super-small because I hate the texture so)
1 medium onion, diced
3 carrots, diced
6 cups chicken broth (use the canned or make your own)
4 - 5 ounces bacon, cut in bite-size pieces
1 cup of frozen corn (or fresh, if you're not just throwing this together with what you have around)
2 - 3 cups cooked cannellini beans
1 tbs olive oil
salt and pepper to taste

I've said this dozens of times, but my love of soup comes partly from the fact that you.can't.screw.it.up. You just can't.

Saute the vegetables in olive oil. Add a pinch of salt to help them soften. When the onions are translucent, add the bacon. As I used bulk bacon, there wasn't much fat to render. But if your bacon is fatty (and most bacon it), let the fat melt off it and then dump it out of the pan.

Once the bacon is browned a little bit, add the rest of the ingredients. Bring the soup to a boil. Then turn the heat to low and let it simmer until you feel like eating it. The longer you cook it, the most your beans will burst open and give you a faux-cream flavor. A delicious one, if I may be so bold. Season to taste.

Vote, vote, vote, please.

No comments: